Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Save the drama for your mama!

Oh, wait, I'm the mama!

I totally thought that teenage drama came as the name suggests... with teens, but I stand corrected. This week, the other "woman" in the house ran the gamut of emotions, which in and of itself isn't unusual, however the topics were a bit new. Words were coming from her that were completely new (and for your benefit are indicated with all quotations henceforth!)

See back in August, a new classmate and Sis hit it off really well. It was pretty exciting for us around here because Sis doesn't historically make friends easily. She knows everyone everywhere but she has her mother's issue of a lot of acquaintances and very few friends. Anyway, like I said, the girls hit it off and have spent a lot of time together since then. There have been sleepovers, gifts exchanged, BFFs written repeatedly, even talk of bridesmaids in weddings. After missing the last week of school and several unreturned phone calls, Sis found out from her teacher on Monday that said BFF moved to Alabama. YES - she moved away without a single breath about it. Tears flowed. I heard things like "betrayal", "unbelievable" and "whhhhyyyyy". What is a mom to do but give hugs and assure her the world isn't ending? I certainly didn't know... relationships aren't my forte!

After a few days of wallowing and snuggling and "I guess I have to move on. I mean this is what happens in life, right?", it was like a swinging pendulum when she came out of her room in the midst of her own Valentine's day preparation, smiling from ear to ear on Wednesday. You see, she is in week 7 of a "relationship, you know, like my first real one". She wanted to make sure that her boyfriend "knows how much I care" so she wrote him a Valentine's day poem and made him a crown, completely decorated with his name and a drum set. The drums were, of course, because "he's a drummer and it's pretty cool to date a musician." Really, what has her father created in her?!? She went to bed SO excited to give him the poem, crown and a box of chocolates because "boys don't really like flowers, do they mom?". I think I could probably just copy and paste the end of the previous paragraph right here. OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!

The week is seemingly ending on an even higher note as BFF reported back to school on Thursday!! It seems she while she WAS in Alabama and she DID move, the two were not interdependent! She moved to a new apartment in town and was in Alabama for 2 weeks for a death in the family. Yay! Life is all good!

Now, let's just hope her Valentine's day venture goes as planned and we don't come crashing back down next week...

Girls are exhausting. And my revelation from this week is that I commend anyone who has to deal with a woman on a regular basis!!


P.S. I copied the poem so that I had it, you know, just in case I should need it for future reference or something! I'll let you know up front, she's got some skillz...

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
You may not know it,
but someone loves you.
Wear this with special care.
It'll make you feel like a king,
in hopes that I will
soon be your queen.

3 comments:

  1. (Big sigh!) Ahhhh, the memories........

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my sister-in-law found out that she was going to have a boy (my beautiful nephew Zach!) she was relieved saying "Boys are easier." I guess with her testimony and yours I am nervous about ever having a girl someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Especially if she dates a drummer, right!?! :)

    ReplyDelete