Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lonely?

"When you close your doors, and make darkness within, remember never to say that you are alone, for you are not alone; nay, God is within, and your genius is within. And what need have they of light to see what you are doing?" - Epictetus

I love this quote - it makes sense to my brain. I love logic. I love solving mysteries and puzzles. I love finding answers - hard, concrete, right or wrong answers, not interpretive, maybe-you're-right-but-you-might-be-wrong kind of answers. While I've become more accepting to that (I work in Human Resources!), my core is still rooted in my love for the black & white and simple.

It's true, all of my senses tell me in a concrete way that I'm NEVER alone - I can see/feel/hear/smell/touch kids, a husband, my pets, and a network of acquaintances. And, my faith reinforces that I'm never alone - "... God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you'." (Heb 13:5), "...And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Mat 28:20). My head believes it all and views those sensory inputs as black & white. But, alone and lonely are not the same.

My heart sometimes feel lonely. Sitting in a room full of noisy people, I can feel lonely. Why is it that, surrounded by people, we can still feel lonely? Is it because of this - blogging, facebooking, tweating? Is it because we become acquainted but never intimate with others? Is it because we are more occupied with stuff than people? Is it because neighbors don't know each other? Do we believe ourselves inferior or superior to others? Are we far too busy to develop friendships? Are we simply too exhausted to make plans to socialize? Do we do so much for others that we allow ourselves to feel used and objectified?

While I would love to get the question right, I can't find my beloved black & white answer. I can, however, place myself in a few of the answers to those questions, but the right answer is marred by the situation. How about you?

"To transform the emptiness of loneliness, to the fullness of aloneness. Ah, that is the secret of life." - Sunita Khosla

No comments:

Post a Comment