Friday, April 23, 2010

kindergarten

I am officially a Gleek. I like to check out new t.v. series for a while before making an official fan announcement and that time has come. I love Glee. :) Oh, my poor DVR with yet another show to record that allows me to skip all advertising and commercials.

I took Ryder for his kindergarten screening today and I could tell he was already annoyed by the fact that when we walked in the school and a few steps into the door, 3 people said "Hi Tanya!" The secretary said to him "You must be Piper's brother." (insert here: eye roll, followed by heavy sigh and slight head nod). He was no less pleased when he returned from his screening with the teacher, who I immediately pointed out was both Wyatt & Piper's kindergarten teacher (shout out Miss Lydic! You will always hold a special spot in our hearts!!). He again rolled his eyes and said "I know. She already told me that." Ahhhh.... such is the life of a little brother.

Miss Lydic did say "He's your comedian, huh?" Hmmm.... Surprise, surprise that it took someone 25 minutes with him to figure that out! She said that for part of the test, he was to repeat sentences verbatim. She would say, "My house is blue." He would say, "My house is blue. But, not really, my house is green with white around the windows."

Isn't it some kind of major life stage when your youngest goes to kindergarten? There should be a support group for this. "Hello, my name is Tanya. I am no longer a mother of small children." I like little kids. Big kids, over the age of, say, 6, start becoming strange, mouthy, non-compliant beings. You can no longer laughingly blame these characteristics on being a two year old. Oh, how my heart aches for just a little more little kid.

More than any of that though, I can't stand the thought of my children outgrowing me faster than I'm outgrowing them.

Overheard this week at our house:
Piper: I just don't understand why you always want me to dress like a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment