Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reminders

"Blindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people." - Helen Keller

I will never seek pity for having a child with a disability. I have many, many times thanked God for bringing Piper into our lives. She is incredible. I often forget exactly how incredible she is. Days like today, with equipment failure and lost parts and insurance company red tape, remind me.

Piper works ten times harder than most just to get through her daily routine, but she does it. Because her disability is practically invisible, I take her hard work for granted. I'm not proud to say that I lose my patience with her when she asks me to repeat something over and over. I get frustrated when she stubbornly refuses to follow sign language and we can't communicate. I struggle to parent a child who is so in tune with facial expressions, that she mis-reacts to my words because I don't match my body language with my feelings. No wonder she gets frustrated too - she has to deal with me!

Piper is beautiful, smart, sensitive, funny and generally amazing. I love her exactly the way she is. Just some of the things I love about Piper: her laugh, her gray eyes that look just like her Grandma Sally, the way she sniffs her blanket to fall asleep, her big heart, her love of all things cats, watching her read and the excitement she feels at getting new books from the library, the way she snuggles on the couch with me to watch t.v., and the fact that she's my only daughter! I'm WAY more blessed to be her mom than she is to be my daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment