Saturday, June 18, 2016

Moving forward, but a slight direction change...

We're still moving forward, but the direction has changed a bit. I had my surgical follow up on Tuesday and it went well. My incision is healing nicely and I feel pretty good. Pathology was backed up at the hospital, so the results from my other biopsies weren't in yet. 

When I called on Thursday to check again, the nurse told me that my results were in and the surgeon would call me back. At that point I knew there was a problem - this is exactly what happened last time. "The doctor would like to speak with you about your results." Fast forward 6 hours and I finally got the call.

I took the conservative approach and had only the tumor and surrounding tissue removed, but cancer is not conservative. It decided it wanted to spread it's wings into the rest of my thyroid and surrounding tissues. So, I'll be heading back in on Tuesday for another, more invasive surgery to remove everything else that is showing cancerous cells. 

But this will be it. I am confident. I am resting on an already answered prayer - one for clarity in decisions for treatment moving forward. Can't get more clear than where I am now. My options are few and the plan is pretty set now. Surgery. Radioactive iodine treatment. Replacement thyroid hormone. Becoming life long friends with an endocrinologist!

If you want to pray or send good vibes, I have 2 primary requests:
  1. For my family - There are 7 more people who are being drastically impacted by cancer and the change in my abilities/role over the past couple of weeks.
  2. For vacation - I know it sounds petty, but we have a long awaited dream vacation for the kids planned and we are supposed to be leaving on June 30th for 10 days. I would love nothing more than to be able to go on this trip.
And with all of that said, I stand by what I said in my last post:

God is good.
Life is good.
I am good.



1 comment: