Friday, June 10, 2016

Moving forward

Surgery is done and the cancerous lump is gone! Everything went as planned (with the exception of my sudden panic when my anesthesiologist hobbled in, seemingly about 90 and hunchback.... but he did his job and did it well!).

I was able to keep part of my thyroid that was still healthy. With a low risk of recurrence and pretty clear margins, the surgeon was confident in leaving a portion there. This means no synthetic hormone replacement for now, which is awesome news! 

Pathology could still tell a different story that wasn't visible to the surgeon's eye, but for now, I'll take it!

The worst part, day 1, was the awful turtleneck bandage! They used lidocaine at the incision and biopsy spots, so while I had a sore throat from the breathing tube, overall pain wasn't bad. Today, the numbness has worn off so the discomfort is a bit more, but manageable.


The redness is my allergy to the bandage adhesive and the small dots are all places where additional biopsies where taken. 

Follow up on Tuesday for pathology, so until then, soft foods and rest! 

God is good.
Life is good.
I am good.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear it's out and you're doing OK. I bet the old guy is very experienced so that was a good thing. Haha! Still saying prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great news!! Praying for good news from pathology and a fast recovery! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete